Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I need to get a wood stove


Towards the back of our property they have been clearing an area to be able to put in a new electric transmission line. This runs all along our property and along most of the neighbors. I have to say I am not particularly happy with this but because of a right of way given to NYSEG back in the 60's by my in-laws and all the other previous owners of neighboring properties there is nothing I can do about it.
The picture doesn't do a good job of actually how big of an area that was cleared. That whole empty area though was all wooded. Quite a few years ago we cleared some of our property and fenced it in for a pasture for the heifers and this transmission line will run right over it, in fact I think a pole has to go right in the middle of it. I went down one day when they were cutting down the trees and found it depressing how quickly with that monster of a machine the can cut and move those trees into piles. It looked as easy and quick as me plucking weeds from the garden.
Now that it is done we are trying to look at the positive side of it. I have always wanted a wood cookstove and now might be the time to get one. There are large piles of logs all along the sides of the clearing so we might as well put them to use. Because of the area it will take to put in a wood cookstove( the clearing needed away from the walls) I might not be able to get one in the kitchen, unless we want to give up using a table. We are definately going to get some sort of woodstove though so the logs just don't sit and rot and save on our heating bill also.
Then my husband said if we can get the rest stumped out( they stumped a side of it for a road) and after a few years for the roots to rot so it can be plowed there can be 6-7 more acres of hay or cornfields.
So I will keep thinking positive things about it even though I wish it was still a wooded area.

No comments:

Post a Comment