Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My ducks are missing

Baby goats and their mama

I have been so busy lately it has been awhile since I have been on the blog. I attempted a couple of nights ago but my computer is being a pain. I wanted to add a few pictures from around the farm but I can't seem to get them uploaded so I tried just one and it worked. I figured I would put the baby goat pictures on. The one right up close is the little boy and the black one by mama is a girl. The little boy really liked his picture taken, I was hoping to get them all together better but he just kept wanting to hog the spotlight. We haven't decided on names yet, we all want different ones, but hopefully we will agree soon so it isn't the boy and the girl.

We used to have 9 ducks but that was a little too many for my backyard so we gave 5 of them to a friend and kept the 3 female blue swedish and the male cayuga duck. They did very well with just the 4 of them and I was glad that we kept them. Well a couple of days ago when I went out to feed them there was only one there. I thought maybe her friends might of just wandered over to the neighbors pond and she did not follow along so I would wait and see if they returned. Well the next morning there were no ducks. There were no feathers around or anything that would show a struggle or what you might think would be there if something decided to eat them. I can't believe they would leave we have had them for a year and we checked the neighbors pond and no ducks. I feel bad now that I didn't do something with the last one the morning I saw her. I almost put her in the coop with the chickens. We have roosters that wander around and they are fine. Poor ducks, I just wish I knew what happened.

I have been picking rocks in the new garden and still have a lot to pick. I think when I turn my back a new one grows. My husband ordered me a DR mini tiller so hopefully the weeding will go a lot easier this year cause I will be able to use that between the rows. Good news though the blackberry bush I planted has sprouted some leaves so now my son believes that I didn't plant a stick. I got my strawberries planted but I keep finding a cat that does not belong here sitting in them. So as soon as a get some time a fence will be going around them. Time is in short supply lately. Tomorrow is appointments and Thurs. we are taking some chickens too have butchered and put in the freezer. I just need a few more hours in the day.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the ducks! Foxes usually take them without a trace. (We used to have ducks. Yes, Used to. Oh, well.) And yes, a few more hours in the day, please!

    ReplyDelete