Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dandelion jelly, peas and broken tractor

It has been busy the last few days. Yesterday I was out whacking some weeds with the walk behind weed whacker. To do the lawns and such around the farm, it takes about 30 minutes on the riding lawn mower and 2 days with the walk behind weed whacker. There are so many spots with ruts and equipment and so on that a mower can't go. When we bought the farm from my in -laws yard work was not top on there list. I have been working at it each summer to clean up and try to make it look nice and increase yard space where the mower can go. It is coming slowly but surely.

While I was whacking I realized all the dandelions I was whacking so I stopped and picked some and last night made a batch of dandelion jelly, made the hubby happy. It is going to rain for a few days so I told him I would get more made when the sun is back out. I am kinda glad that it is raining, we need it, and I can get some indoor things done that have been neglected because of the sunny days. I just can't stay in when it is nice out.

My peas are up in the garden, I am excited because it was taking quite a while and I was getting worried. I keep watching the thornless blackberry plant I bought and planted for some new sign of life. My son says it looks like I planted a stick, I don't think he believes it is a berry bush so I am hoping for some leaves soon so I can prove it to him that I don't plant sticks.

The hubby is taking our tractor to a neighbors to see if they can fix the pto. We have put so much money in to repairing that tractor, the last visit to the shop cost $ 10,000 - I almost had a heart attack on that one ( the time before was $2300 and the first time $8000) I am getting to hate that tractor. Well when he told me it was broke again I told him there was no way it was going to the shop. I told him put it in the field and it can grow daisy's. That is when he called the neighbor and they are going to see if they can fix it. We had bought this tractor a few years ago off a man we didn't know but seemed honest, well I guess he was not so much.

Well I have the place all to myself cause my son went with the guys and that tractor so I am going to get to work, I love when I get to do my cleaning with no one in my way. That doesn't happen too often.

3 comments:

  1. dandelion jelly? never heard of it sounds interesting. Any way you'd post a picture or recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I will try to do that tonight. The recipe I used was out of The Encyclopedia of Country Living. If you like honey I think you would like this, it has a honey type taste just sweeter with the sugar. My husband loves it on his toast

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh, I have that book, I'll have to try it. thanks

    ReplyDelete