Sunday, August 15, 2010

Getting canning and freezing done

It has been quite some time since I have posted on my blog or even read some of my favorites I like to read. I have a lot of catching up to do but the garden and farm keep me busy. We are now milking 84 cows. I never had plans to be milking that much I was quite happy with no more than 65 but the heifers keep freshening and now 84. Hopefully dry off time for some of the others will be soon and I can cut a little time off of the milking time.

I have been getting canning and freezing done. Yesterday was the first of the corn, it is finally ready. I put up 30 bags last night and hope to do a lot more of that tomorrow. Today will be shredding and freezing zucchini. I love zucchini brownies and bread and hope to make them throughout the winter. So far this garden season I have made dandelion, cherry and blueberry jelly, canned pickles, relish, beets and banana peppers. Also at the beginning I got some peas frozen but not enough going to plant way more next year. The tomatoes are ripening and I will be canning them and making some tomato and pizza sauce. My pumpkins look like they will be ready early and I read an article saying it will be an early apple season this year so I want to be ready for that, I want to make a lot of applesauce and I love apple bread and hopefully some apple pie filling. Whew, I better get to reading a couple of my blogs and get to that zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment