Saturday, February 27, 2010

Finally....A calf !

Well today when we went out to do morning chores and milking we went to check on Corin and the calf was coming. She needed some help again though. We have a large stall they can calf in and even if she could push this one out herself she had her butt jammed right up against the bar so it would of never come out. It was a big one my husband said it must weigh between 110 -115 lbs. I told her she baked it to long. Of course it is a bull and this time I didn't have the camera with me. He is all black I will have to get a picture after he is dry and all licked off. Well at least I don't have to do the checks anymore but I see we have 2 more bagging up but they should deliver fine by themselves.

While I am sitting here on the computer on the table next to me is the soap I made about 2 weeks ago drying. It is the first time I have ever made homemade soap and it smells so nice I can't wait till I can try it. The next batch I think I will make some with milk. I can't wait till spring till our Nubian goat has her baby so I can try some goat milk soap.

These are our first goats so I hope I do OK with them. Right now we just have one male and one female but if all goes well this spring I hope to get a couple more females. Baby goats are just so cute so it will be fun when they come.

3 comments:

  1. Glad she finally came through. Sorry it was a bull though.
    We had a couple of days without barn checks, but we are right back to them with three impending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to love the Nubian babies!! Are you planning on removing them from the mom as soon as they're born? That's what we did last May, and now they are just like dogs that follow my wife and kids around like puppies! My wife makes and sells goats milk soap and people love it. It has cured lots of skin problems for lots of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we will take them away from their mother. I am just loving these goats, our male one got out once and I thought great these should be fun. When I got close he followed me everywhere even to the back porch and right back where he belonged. Nothing like when the cows get out.

    ReplyDelete