Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Still nothing


Here is Corin with baby on board still but doesn't that look just say - Look lady I want it out of me more than you do!! This is going to be her third time calving and usually we don't worry about the "old timers" too much but her last time she needed a little help and her very first calf did not make it so this is why we keep on a checking. This time when I went to check on her I decided to take the camera so that pretty much killed the thought of seeing a calf when I got up there. Probably 10 minutes after I left the barn she probably spit it out. Hubby is up there now cleaning the barn so he is on watch for awhile. The milk cows on the other side of the barn are probably hope she keeps it in there forever. She tends to think she is the queen with other cows and tries to rule the roost. We have a few queens and they are battle for the crown at times. It is funny the different personalities, the queens, then the ones that just don't have a bother in the world the come in get milked and go about their business like same as always. Then my babies (which my husband says is about all of them but I am the calf lady and I raised them). Some of them won't leave the barn till I scratch and pet them. We have a holstein named Cookie and I have to literally push out of the barn so I can get her out of the way to let the others in. Then the ones that when you unhook them they are outta ther in a flash, some times when you just want to get done you really appreciate those ones but we don't have to many of them. We have 3 that are usually in the last bunch to get milked and they keep coming back in you can't get rid of them. I have learned to keep them hooked in till everything else is done so they don't keep bothering me. My father in law helps milk and he gets a kick out of how many have to stop to see me on the way out.

Well I have to go make biscuits before I go milk the cows because dinner tonight is chicken and biscuits- my favorite- Yum!!! Cross your fingers for a calf so I don't have to trudge up there tonight, I will leave the camera in the house and then there is sure to be a calf. After all this I hope it is a girl!

l

2 comments:

  1. I think a farm loses something when they get so big they quit naming their cows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I try to name them all but we do have some that we have bought that get called by their number.

    ReplyDelete